Want to launch a podcast? Ready to up your podcast game? Thanks to this digital age, there are plenty of free resources – article and videos – readily available online. Music Radio Creative offers both, by the way. There are also podcast groups, websites, and podcasts about starting a podcast.
Even with the variety of options available, sometimes a podcast course is the best way to go.
Benefits to Taking a Podcast Course
While there are free podcast courses available, as well as a ton of free webinars, many educational possibilities come with a price tag. Yet, in most cases the benefits far outweigh the cost.
Taking a podcast course:
- Saves time and energy. No more searching the internet for answers – everything you need to know is at your fingertips.
- Gives you a pro perspective. In addition to a focused educational experience, classes offer time-tested tips and tricks that only come from someone with professional experience.
Plus, a lot of times podcast courses:
- Encourage community interaction. In many cases a podcast course comes with a community function (such as a Facebook group or message board). Students can post their episodes, and offer and accept feedback and encouragement from the others. Extra Bonus: Classmates = New Subscribers.
- Include personalized mentorship. In addition to community interaction, you get feedback, tips, and direction, from your instructor. (Usually this is offered in a membership site or as an add-on.)
If you are looking to up your podcast game, there are a variety of courses available for all levels. Here are some of our favorites.
Music Radio Creative:
Podcast Production Course with Mike Russell. Create a great sounding audio podcast and learn how to produce podcasts like a pro.
What it is: This course is designed to highlight the audio aspect of your podcast. Everything you will need to know from the best podcast equipment, how to set it up, the best audio editor to choose and how to post edit a podcast to create a great sounding episode.
Who it’s for: Beginner to intermediate podcasters who would like to make podcasts on a professional level
What you need: A computer and access to an audio editor (such as Adobe Audition).
The course includes:
- Easy to follow structure. The course is divided into 10 main stages with distinct themed parts. There is also a quick start and jargon buster to begin the course. Plus lessons on:
- Before you start recording. 10 easy methods to make a podcast sound great.
- Software and hardware. Podcast equipment options and best audio editing software.
- Recording and post production. Setting up your audio editor and using main post production techniques to make a great sounding episode.
- Fixing bad audio. Dealing with background noises and echo on the recordings.
- Talk over music. How to seamlessly duck it under the voice.
- Mastering. Final editing touches, loudness and best practices for saving the audio.
- Equipment List. A tried and tested list of hardware that will take your podcast sound to a professional level.
- Cheatsheet with settings for the dbx 286s microphone preamp and processor, Heil PR 40 microphone and the best EQ and compression settings too.
Duration: Self-paced online course. Lifetime access.
Cost: One-time payment of $695 or 3 monthly payments of $249 (includes bonuses worth $195)
Notes: Assistance available for technical issues. One-on-one support and feedback available on some courses for an additional price.
For more information: email@example.com
Smart Passive Income:
Power-Up Podcasting® with Pat Flynn. A Step-By-Step Course to Launch a Successful Podcast that Gets Found and Grows Your Online Brand.
What it is: Power-Up Podcasting® will hold your hand through all the hard parts of starting a podcast, including setting up your studio, learning how to edit, and getting your podcast out into the world.
Who it’s for: The aspiring podcaster. If you’re a first-time podcaster and you’re looking for help with each step along the way, this is the course for you.
What you need: At the beginning of the course, you will only need a computer and an email account. They’ll walk you through your options for recording equipment, microphones, and editing software.
The course includes:
- Seven distinct stages with 59 video lessons (over six total hours!), taking you from idea to post-launch success.
- Clear action items set you up for success, teaching you how to acquire the right gear, leverage your current audience, and build a podcasting workflow.
- Bonuses to keep you on track, including a printable workbook and a special lecture on monetizing your podcast.
- Exclusive access to a Facebook community to discuss coursework and trade ideas with your fellow classmates.
- Office hours with Pat during the first month to ask questions and get advice.
Duration: Self-paced online course. Lifetime access.
Cost: One-time payment of $799 or 3 monthly payments of $299 (includes bonuses)
For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Also from Pat Flynn, Smart Passive Income: Amp’d-Up Podcasting for the next step in your podcasting process. Amp-d-Up Podcasting is full of great information to help you avoid burnout and build a professional process for your podcast. A is for Automate. M is for Market. P is for Profit. Get your time back, grow your listenership, and earn more money. Scheduled to reopen later in 2019. Sign up on the website for notification.
Free Podcast Course with John Lee Dumas. Multi-module free podcast course, which wraps with information on joining their Podcasters’ Paradise community.
What it is: The basics for starting a podcast.
Who it’s for: The aspiring podcaster. Learn how to create and launch your podcast.
What you need: At the beginning of the course, you will only need a computer and internet access. I’s a web-based, modular video course.
The 11 modules are:
- What is a podcast?
- The benefits of podcasting
- Identify your podcast topic
- Find your perfect listener
- Types of podcasts
- Your podcast name & logo
- Podcast equipment breakdown
- Record and edit your podcast
- Frequently asked questions
- A stroll thru Podcasters’ Paradise
- Chat w/ JLD!
Duration: Self-paced online course.
Cost: Free. This intro course leads to The Podcast Masterclass webinar, which is accessible with email sign-up.
Notes: These free courses are an introduction to Fire Nation’s Podcasters’ Paradise membership community.
Podcasters’ Paradise. Learn how to create, grow and monetize your podcast. Podcasters’ Paradise is run by John Lee Dumas and Kate Erickson.
Podcasters’ Paradise Features:
- Community interaction
- Live webinars
- Step-by-step video tutorials
- Resources and templates
Cost: Monthly: $97 or Annually: $997 (Annual membership includes extra bonuses)
For more information: email@example.com
A wide selection of stand-alone courses and membership bundles, taught by founder Dave Jackson.
Courses ($99/each) include:
Membership Cost: Monthly: $49 or Annually: $499.
Learn the entire art and business of podcasting from Colin Gray, Matthew McLean, and the team. Courses are designed to help podcasters take action and succeed: videos show how, text is available for skimming and revision, and there’s audio for learning on the go.
Courses range from interviewing and workflow to making money, and audience growth. However, to access the courses, you need to join The Academy.
Features of The Academy:
- Every course, beginner to expert
- Community support and motivation
- In-depth eBooks and guides to download
- Tailored tools to cut time and stress
- Royalty-free music and sound FX library
- Checklists and SOPs to save you time
- Live-Chat Support and Coaching
- Launch, Grow and Start Monetizing
Membership Cost: Monthly: $49 or Annually: $440 (includes 20-minute start-up call).
Contact: Submit via the contact page.
One of the keys to a successful podcast is a professional product. Rather than spend time and energy figuring things out on your own, a podcast course is a viable option to put you and your podcast on the path to success.
* * *
What do you think? Have you taken online podcast courses? What are your recommendations? Please share in the comments.